My uncle wants to have gastric bypass

Weight loss, in the context of medicine, health, or physical fitness, refers to a reduction of the total body mass, due to a mean loss of fluid, body fat or adipose tissue or lean mass, namely bone mineral deposits, muscle, tendon, and other connective tissue.
sam miller

My uncle wants to have gastric bypass

Unread post by sam miller » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:22 am

Hi, My uncle has obesity problem, he weighs 215 kg's approximately, He wants to have a Gastric Bypass Surgery or any other what doctors suggest "he is not on any exercises". So is it possible for him at this level to have this surgery? or he has to loose some weight first and what are suggestions please?

Mirage
Site Admin

Re: My uncle wants to have gastric bypass

Unread post by Mirage » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:37 am

The surgeons with Miragesearch are among the best in India.
The body mass index (BMI), or Quetelet index, is a measure for human body shape based on an individual's mass and height..

BMI (Body Mass Index) = >30 kg/m 2 is the most important Endication of this procedure.

For Example : Patient weight is 90kg and height is 1.70m
90/(1.70*1.70) = 90 / (2.89) = 31.14 kg/m 2 ? Endication for Operation

There may be 3 different kind of procedures they are :

1-Sleeve Gastrectomy :
Sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical weight-loss procedure in which the stomach is reduced to about 25% of its original size, by surgical removal of a large portion of the stomach along the greater curvature. The result is a sleeve or tube like structure. The procedure permanently reduces the size of the stomach, although there could be some dilatation of the stomach later on in life. The procedure is generally performed laparoscopically and is irreversible.
With our Doctors, Procedure success is %95. Complication percent is only %1-2 with this method.The Procedure takes place in 1 to 2 hours.

Procedure is included with :
1)Before operation there will be a Meeting with doctors and general physical examination of the patient will be done.
2)Before operation Blood Tests will be done and the test results will be Evaluated .
3)Patient will be prepared for operation and operation will be performed.
4)After operation patient will be looked after sincerely, specially in ICU (Intensive Care Unit) for 2 days.
5)After 2 days of sincere care in the ICU, patient will be transferred to Inpatient Service for 4 days. Within these days, there will be Dr. Visits everyday for control following-up the patient.
6)There will be Special Care for the Patient in the Hospital

(After operation Patient may be discharged from the hospital within 2 to 3 days but Dr. Advices the patient to stay at least 1 week for close control follow-up)

2-Metabolic Operation is the 2nd type of Operation called Gastric By-pass :
Gastric bypass procedures (GBP) are any of a group of similar operations that first divides the stomach into a small upper pouch and a much larger lower "remaining" pouch and then re-arranges the small intestine to connect to both. Surgeons have developed several different ways to reconnect the intestine, thus leading to several different GBP names. Any GBP leads to a marked reduction in the functional volume of the stomach, accompanied by an altered physiological and physical response to food.
The operation is prescribed to treat
1)Morbid obesity (defined as a body mass index BMI = >40kg/m 2)
2)Type 2 diabetes
3)Hypertension
4)Sleep Apnea and
5)other comorbid conditions.
Bariatric surgery is the term encompassing all of the surgical treatments for morbid obesity, not just gastric bypasses, which make up only one class of such operations. The resulting weight loss, typically dramatic, markedly reduces comorbidities. The long-term mortality rate of gastric bypass patients has been shown to be reduced by up to 40%. As with all surgery, complications may occur , complication percentage is 1-2%.
Gastric By-pass is an operation with a success rate of 90% for the treatment of Diabetes and Hypertension.
Operation is icluded all the same things that mentioned above . The only change is after operation patient will be looked after sincerely for 2 days in ICU and for 5 days in the inpatient service
3-Sleeve Gastrectomy + Gastric By-pass : This is the 3rd kind of operation.
Sleeve Gastrectomy + Gastric By-pass sugeries are done together in one session in this kind of operations. Success rates and Hospitalization times are as the same as the 2nd kind of operation.

The most commonly preferred operation is Sleeve Gastrectomy. Lower likelihood of complications in this procedure.

Hayley Evans

Lap band conversion help?

Unread post by Hayley Evans » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 pm

After having a lap band for 10 years, I started having regurgitation at night, and unable to keep food down. My surgeon said I’ll have to have it removed, and was scoped last week to confirm. He recommended I convert to a gastric sleeve or bypass so I don’t gain my weight back. I lost 100 lbs initially, and have maintained a 85lb weight loss. He said 95-98% of patients gain it back w out a “tool”. Scares me!! But is he trying to get another surgery under his belt? Any comments? Experiences with this?