Gastric Balloon is a weight loss procedure that helps you to lose weight without any surgery. It involves inserting a small silicone balloon into a patient’s stomach through an endoscopic procedure from the throat. It is filled with a saline which partially fills the stomach, as a result helping the person to feel less hungry. You feel stomach full sooner while eating and therefore will eat less.
It provides a weight loss option for selected patients when diet and exercise have failed, and surgery is not recommended or wanted. By using the dietary advice, you can learn healthy eating habits and change your lifestyle. Therefore, you can lose weight quickly and keep the pounds off long-term.
Why Use Gastric Balloon For Weight Loss?
Gastric Balloon is the non-surgical treatment option for weight management. It is also a good option for those patients who need to lose weight before an operation to reduce their medical risks. This procedure can be less efficient and slower than the surgical weight loss options. But it is a useful way to lose weight if you don’t meet the criteria for the surgical weight loss procedures. The Balloon is useful if you have a BMI between 30 and 40
Gastric Balloon is a temporary aid to achieve weight loss in patients with moderate obesity. It is less invasive than other surgical weight loss procedures.
The Gastric Balloon aims to provide a short-term solution if you are struggling to lose weight even after making a real commitment to lifestyle changes, such as a calorie-controlled diet. It can help you lose weight relatively quickly by making your stomach feel fuller.
It is inserted into the stomach through the mouth without surgery. Firstly, the doctor inserts an endoscopic camera into the stomach. If no abnormalities appear, then Gastric Balloon is placed through the mouth and down the esophagus into the stomach. Once reached inside the stomach, then it filled with a sterile saline solution, through a small filling tube attached to the Gastric Balloon. Once filled, the doctor removes the tube by gently pulling on the outer end, leaving the balloon inside the stomach.
It is for temporary weight loss and will be removed after six months. It also helps you lose enough weight to undergo Gastric Banding or Gastric Bypass Surgery.
Gastric Balloon procedure overall takes only 20-30 minutes and requires minimal recovery time. You can go home on the same day, or the day after the procedure.
Cost of Treatment
In general, the cost of surgery varies from $3000 to $7500 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another.
Who Need Gastric Balloon
- If you have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30-40 kg/m2 and unable to lose weight through diet and exercise.
- If you have medical conditions such as type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure, the gastric balloon may help you to achieve long-term weight loss. Along with this procedure, a health care provider will supervise your diet and exercise plan.
- It can help to reduce the risks associated with surgical procedures on obese patients.
- A screening process will help your doctor see if the procedure might be beneficial for you.
Why the Gastric Balloon?
- Non-Surgical: – It is non-surgical that creates similar changes to the stomach as some of the weight loss surgery techniques. For example the LAP band.
- Lesser Recovery Time: – Because it is non-surgical, there are no recovery issues that relate to surgery. For example, there is no hospital stay, no wounds, to care for, and very limited concern over complications or self-monitoring.
- Reversible: – Many weight loss surgeries are permanent. Gastric sleeve, for example, is irreversible even after weight loss. Gastric balloon is only a 6-month treatment, but the doctor can reverse or remove it at any time if necessary.
- Less Expensive: – The Gastric Balloon is less expensive on the whole as it is a non-surgical procedure.
- Fewer Complications: – With no surgery and no permanent removal of any part of the body, there is very little risk of complications. There are some risks like- gastric balloon rupture. But the risk is very low, and many safety precautions are made to reduce this risk. Other complications are unlikely.
- Few/No Long Term Side Effects: – Some stomach discomfort is common in the short term, mainly nausea. But in the long term, there are very few side effects or complications that you need to watch out for. The gastric balloon can stay safely inside the body with ease for 6 months.