Gastric Bypass surgery is also known as Bariatric Surgery or weight-loss surgery. It is a surgical procedure that helps you lose weight by changing how your stomach and small intestine handle the food you eat.
A gastric bypass is an operation to make your stomach smaller and to shorten the length of small intestine that your food passes through. It restricts the amount of food you can eat and reduces the number of calories your body will absorb.
Gastric Bypass Procedure
- Your surgeon will use staples to divide your stomach into a small upper section and a larger bottom section and make the large surgical cut to open up your belly. The top part of your stomach (called the pouch) is where the food you eat will go. The pouch is about the size of a walnut. It holds only about 1 ounce of food. Because of this you will eat less and lose weight.
- Then your surgeon will connect a small part of your small intestine to a small hole in your pouch. The surgeon uses the tiny camera for this surgery, called a laparoscope. The food you eat will now travel from the pouch into this new opening into your small intestine. Due to this, your body will absorb fewer calories.
Cost of Surgery
In general, the cost of Gastric Bypass surgery varies from $4500 to $11,000 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another.
Advantages of laparoscopy over open surgery include:
- Have less pain
- Shorter hospital stays and quicker recovery.
- Smaller scars and a lower risk of getting a hernia or infection.
This surgery takes about 2 to 4 hours.
Who Need Gastric bypass surgery
Gastric Bypass & other weight-loss surgeries may option for you if your body mass index (BMI) is 40 or higher (extreme obesity). More conditions are if you have a serious weight-related health problem, diabetes, high blood pressure and severe sleep apnea.
Advantages of the Gastric Bypass
- It is particularly effective for patients with a larger BMI as the procedure has more predictable weight loss outcomes.
- Hormonal changes resulting from surgery mean most patients have an almost immediate reduction in their need for diabetic medication, and some can completely stop diabetic medication altogether.
- In addition to weight loss, gastric Bypass tends to have the strongest effect on high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and other obesity-related health issues.
- It is also effective for those people who tend towards high sugar or high-fat foods. Dumping syndrome is directly linked to a high sugar, high fat intake. Symptoms of dumping are unpleasant and therefore discourage the intake of high calorie, sweet foods.