Gastric sleeve surgery or Sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical procedure that induces weight loss by restricting food intake. It is the laparoscopic procedure. The doctor removes approximately 75 percent of the stomach, and the stomach takes the shape of a tube or “sleeve” which holds much less food.
With healthy food, regular exercise, and good eating habits. Patients who have had a gastric sleeve surgery will enjoy and maintain good weight loss.
Unlike the gastric band and the gastric bypass, the gastric sleeve is a permanent procedure.
Removing a stomach portion reduces the body’s level of a hormone called ghrelin or hunger hormone. Thus, many people find that they are much less hungry after the sleeve gastrectomy. Ghrelin also plays a role in blood sugar metabolism. Individuals with type II diabetes often see an immediate decrease in their diabetes medications (primarily oral medications) after the gastric sleeve.
Candidates For Gastric Sleeve
As you know Gastric sleeve is a type of Bariatric Surgery. It is the most effective way for weight loss when diet and exercises failed. If anyone struggling with obesity and health risks like diabetes, heart diseases and more then, the gastric sleeve may help you
- If your body mass index (BMI) is 40 or more. 100 pounds overweight for men and 80 pounds overweight for women with age of 18 or older.
- Obesity-related illnesses such as diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol and heart disease also.
- Traditional Weight Loss method, diet, and exercise did not work for you.
- If you are prepared to make substantial changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
- If you are smoker and drinker, you are not qualified for this surgery. You have to stop smoking at least for one month before and one month after the surgery.
Gastric sleeve is a safe and easy procedure, therefore, no risk of dumping syndrome. This syndrome passes the food in stomach unaffected by gastric juice and causes indigestion, pain, diarrhea. Gastric sleeve surgery does not need any artificial devices to put inside the body. That means you never feel slip, erode or infection.
Gastric sleeve surgery performs in a minimally invasive manner, reduce the time of hospital stay with fast recovery from surgery include pain, blood loss. Gastric surgery may be a good option for you if you are suffering from asthma, obstructive sleep apnoea, diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Cost of Surgery
In general, the cost of surgery varies from $4000 to $8500 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another.