Eyelid Surgery is also Known as Blepharoplasty is a cosmetic procedure performed to improve the appearance of your eyes. The main reasons why people choose it mainly involves “droopy eyelids” or sagged skin. This surgery removes excess fat from the upper or lower eyelids. It helps in tightening the loose eyelid skin and muscles. It also proves effective in improving vision in older people when their eyesight gets impaired as a cause of sagging in the upper lids.
Eyelid Aging Process
- As skin ages, it regularly loses its elasticity. Due to lack of elasticity plus the consistent pull of gravity, the excessive skin comes into the upper and lower eyelids.
- Excess skin on the lower eyelid causes wrinkles and bulges. Your upper and lower eyelids may become droopy or baggy. Your eyebrows also may sag or droop. Furthermore, an extra fold of skin can hang over the eyelashes and get in the way of seeing.
- The fat that cushions the eyeball from the skull can also cause bulges in the upper and lower eyelids. The thin membrane that holds the fat in place weakens, and then fat pockets become more prominent as they bulge. It may be a hereditary condition that runs in your family.
In general, Surgery is performed through incisions made in the natural folds of the eyelids. These incisions are made in the crease of the upper eyelid and below the lower eyelid. The procedure also involves removal of unwanted underlying tissues and muscles. Outer skin reemerging with a concoction peel or carbon dioxide to smooth out remaining wrinkles. The laser might be performed at the same time. Thus it gives you a quicker recovery. Upper eyelid surgery can last up to five to seven years. As a matter of fact, lower eyelid surgery hardly needs to repair again.
- It removes excess skin and can remove fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid too.
- It will also eliminate the puffiness and under eye bags from the lower eyelid.
- Removes excess fat deposits that create puffiness and hood on the eyes (on the upper eyelids).
- Lower eyelid surgery can correct droopy lower eyelids, and that causes white appearance below the iris (colored portion of the eye).
- It can also treat loose or sagging skin that creates folds and also disturbs the natural contour of the upper eyelid, sometimes impairing vision.
The cost of the procedure varies from $500 to $3000 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another.
- Under-eye bags
- Greater Elasticity
- Droopy Upper Eyelids
- Dark circles under the eye
- Excess skin and creepy wrinkles
- Removal of Wrinkles and Bulges
- Cosmetic and Visual Improvement
- Puffy appearance of the upper eyelids
- Loose skin hanging down from the upper eyelids
- Need for the eye to look larger than before – It comes under double eyelid surgery
Other factors that can cause aging to eyelids are
- Fluid retention
- Nerve Problems
- Disease or Injury
- Lack of sleep
- Thyroid Dysfunction