Facial implants enhance certain features of the face. Facial implants create remarkable changes by adding balance and definition of imperfect features. The oral and maxillofacial surgeon uses these implants to enhance the features of the face. The surgery may be elective (as per desire) or in fact needed as the result of prior surgery on the face. Facial implants are available to augment the cheeks, chin, and jaw. Most implants are of silicon while implants of other material are also available.
The procedure chiefly involves placing synthetic materials deep under the subcutaneous tissue and onto the underlying bone. Procedures overall take 30 minutes to 2 hours to complete. The surgeon uses local or general anesthesia for Facial Implant surgery. The most common implants include:
- Lower jaw implant: Jaw implants are placed directly into the jawbone to create a stronger, squarer, more defined jaw line. Then the surgeon uses sutures to close the surgical cuts, which will dissolve in about one week.
- Cheek Implants: A patient may wish to have cheek implants to restore a more youthful appearance as they can improve the contour of the mid-face and it also restore sagging tissues in patients of 40 – 50 years. The surgeon makes incisions either at the top of the upper lip, near the gums or on the outer cheek, slightly below the lower eyelid, and insert the implants through the incisions. This procedure is generally in conjunction with other facial procedures. Read More
- Chin implant: It is a surgical approach for reshaping or beautifying the size of the chin. It places the implant internally to the lower lip, or under the chin. Read More
- Para-nasal Implants: It is a surgical procedure to permanently fill in the depressed furrows from the side of the nose to the corners of the mouth and to thicken the paranasal region. A specially designed implant material is inserted into a small incision inside the mouth.
Cost of Procedure
The cost of Facial Implants varies from $700 to $5000 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another.
Benefits of Facial Implants Surgery
- Improves facial contours aesthetically
- Improves Proportion and profile of the face
- Corrects imbalance caused by injury or hereditary traits