Skin lightening or skin whitening is a cosmetic procedure which aims at achieving a lighter skin tone or whitening dark complexion by reducing melanin pigmentation in the skin. There are some ways to lighten the skin. It includes laser skin lightening, cosmetic and bleaching or plastic surgery procedures. Each treatment can be used for different purposes. Creams and gels are most often of an overall lightening effect, while laser treatments and cryosurgery are used for reducing the appearance of dark spots. Skin whitening surgery usually involves the restructuring of some surface tissues to lighten the skin and also provide an even skin tone.
Skin Lightening Treatment options
Topical skin lightening or bleaching creams are the first options for improving the tone of dark and dull skin. It is least expensive and totally non-invasive option for improving the complexion. Some topical creams work for minor improvement in the tone of the skin, but most of the topical creams are almost ineffective. The drawbacks of these creams are that the effects last for a short period.
- Radiance/ Detan Facials: – It fights discoloration and uneven skin tone with anti-oxidants. Tan refers to the skin darkening due to exposure to the UV radiation of the sun. Stimulation of the facial muscles helps with facial rejuvenation, encourages collagen growth and a radiant glow.
- Anti Pigmentation Treatments: – Arbutin is a new type of skin de-pigmentation and whitening cream, an extract of Bearberry plant. It also can be used to prevent liver spots and freckles, to treat sunburn marks and to regulate melanogenesis.
It is a cosmetic procedure that is effective for treating some of the cosmetic conditions including dull, dark and uneven tone of skin. Light microdermabrasion is used to remove the outermost layer of unwanted skin revealing lighter and brighter skin. It is also effective for treating sun damage, acne scarring or dark pigmentation blotches. It requires multiple sessions to view results.
It works in the same manner as microdermabrasion does but is harsher and a bit more painful. It is a technique that uses a wire brush or a diamond wheel with rough edges to remove the upper layers of the skin. The brush or burr rotates rapidly, taking off and leveling the top layers of the skin. It requires multiple sessions. Read More
Chemical Peels is a technique that improves the appearance of the surface on the face, neck or hands. It mostly treats facial skin and enhances the body and scarring. It uses a chemical solution to smooth the texture of your skin by removing the damaged outer layers. This option is considered the most effective skin lightening treatment. Read More
It is an alternate procedure for laser treatment using liquid nitrogen. Controlled destruction of skin cells causes the skin to regenerate itself naturally. Excess melanin comes to the surface and peels off in a few days. It is particularly useful in sensitive areas like the genitals where laser treatment can leave scars. Efficacy of the treatment depends on the depth of the pigment.
The cost of treatment is dependent upon the type of treatment. In general, It varies from $400 to $2500 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another.
- As the treatment lightens the skin, it also removes various marks caused by uneven melanin distribution. Some of these blemishes include sunspots, age spots, and freckles.
- Anti-Aging: Most of the skin brighteners also have anti-aging effects. It keeps you looking young and beautiful.
- Skin Nourishment: The skin is kept healthy through a variety of ingredients including antioxidants.
- Improved Confidence and Self Esteem: With a brighter and better-looking skin, you feel more confident. Moreover, it affects even one’s social interactions making them more enriching. In the long run.