Ear Surgery, also known as Otoplasty, can improve the position, shape or proportion of the ear. It creates a natural shape while bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face. Correction of even minor deformities can have profound beneﬁts to the appearance and self-esteem. Ear surgery can correct a defect in the ear structure that is present at birth that becomes apparent with development or it can treat misshapen ears caused by injury.
Ear surgery can correct conditions such as:
- Protruding ears
- Mis-shape of ears
- Abnormally large ear lobes
- Lop ear (in which the tip folds down and trends forward)
- Shell ear (a condition in which certain features of a normal ear are missing)
Cost of Treatment
The cost of Ear Surgery varies from $1200 to $4500 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another.
Reshape the ears involves remodeling the cartilage into a less protruding shape. It is the surgery to correct prominent ears and place them closer to the head. Depending on the age and condition of the patient, the Surgeon gives general or local anesthesia to perform an incision at the back of your ear and peel off some skin from the cartilage. Then the surgeon will change the shape of the cartilage, so your earlies closer to your head. If your ears are not symmetrical (evenly shaped on both sides) it may correct as well. The surgeon will close the wound with stitches a apply a dressing. Generally, you should be able to go home the same day of your procedure. The two most important techniques for correcting protruding ears are:
- Ear Splinting – It involves resetting the soft cartilage and using a splint to keep the ear in the new position. It’s for babies under six months old.
- Otoplasty or Pinnaplasty (pinning back the ears) – It will change the shape of the cartilage, so your ear lies closer to your head.
Benefits of the Surgery
- Increased self-confidence and self-esteem
- Wider choice of hairstyles
- Stop unfriendly comments
- More choice in sports and careers