Dermatology is the science concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of skin diseases and is also helpful in treating some of nails and hair diseases. A dermatologist is a medical expert who deals with a significant problem with your skin, and a specialist in both medical and surgical aspects.
The skin is the largest and most visible organ of your body. It reflects the health of the body and acts as a barrier against injury and bacteria. Unfortunately, at one time or another, a person of any age has some skin disease. Nowadays one in every six-person has some skin problem.
The most common skin disorders are
- Skin cancer
- Fungal infections
- Cold sores – Affects one in five persons
- Atopic Eczema – Suffer one in six children
- Acne – has an impact on every teenager to one degree or another.
- Hand dermatitis, resulting from external contact with detergents and household chemicals, affects most women with young families.
What dermatologists do?
Dermatologists perform skin surgery to
- Prevent or provide early control of disease, e.g., remove skin cancer.
- Improve the skin’s appearance by removing growths, discolorations, or damage caused by aging, sunlight or disease.